Wednesday, September 28, 2011

How I Feel When I Have To Drive To Work

Last week on Facebook someone wrote how they feel miserable in the car and always happy on the bike so I thought about that for a while.  It really struck me today as I drove to work for the 2nd day in a row (I am officially tired and just taking a couple of days of - more to be explained in a minute) how unhappy being in the car at all makes me.

I wonder if the car is even happy being driven to be honest with you.  It is not like I have a long commute (30 minutes max most days.  That is until it snows and it takes 90 minutes sometimes!), I have a comfortable car, and most days it is not an "ugly" commute by any means.  But, in the end I am never happy to be getting in the car on my way to work nor do I get out of my car once I arrive feeling like a million bucks!


Is This Car Faking Being Happy?
Now, when I ride my bike to work I would have to really struggle to come up with a time that when I made it to work that I felt like throwing my bike to the ground, never to be picked back up again.  I have arrived wet from rain, soaked from thunderstorms (trust me there is a difference), cold from freezing temperatures, sweaty from humidity out the ying yang, but always happy and content.  Just like the picture below!


Biking Always Makes Me Happy
To jump back to an earlier point - the ride home is not always the same.  Take Monday for example.  I had ridden over 350 miles the previous 5 days and was just plain tired.  The winds were against me and the umption in my gumption was running very low.  So low, I even contemplated the bail out phone call to the home phone number.  After a brief rest at the library printing out my daughter's essay for school, I trudged the rest of the way home and decided that was enough riding for the week.  So, I am taking off until this Friday unless it is rain free tonight and I sneak off to our last "official" Wednesday Night Group Ride.  No commuting though until Friday and that is only if it is dry out!

So if you see a grumpy 45 y/o man driving a Tahoe on the road - take pity on him for you see his legs are tired and his bike needs a rest and he is not smiling because he is not riding.  But he will be next week for sure!

Might be heading somewhere new again next week so I might get to take some cool pictures again!  Will keep you posted.  Have a great week and get out there and ride your bikes!

1 comment: